central Statistical Organization
Duties of the Central Statistical Organization
In the thirties of the last century, the organization now,was a small division in the Directorate of General Trade in the Ministry of Finance, then it was associated with the Ministry of Economy and transportations.
– In 1939, the Statistics Division was attached to the Ministry of Economy, and in the same year the first Statistics Law No. (42) was issued.
– In 1956, the existing statistical departments and departments in some of the main state departments and facilities were merged, and as a result, it was called (the Central Statistical Department).
– In 1959, the Executive Authority Law was issued, according to which the Ministry of Planning was established, and the Central Statistical Department joined it, raising its rank to a General Directorate.
– In 1962, Statistics Law No. (57) was issued.
– In 1968, the system of the Ministry of Planning was issued and it was named the Central Statistical Organization.
– In 1970, Statistics Law No. (6) was issued.
– In 1972, in effect Statistics Law No. (21) was issued.
Sections of the organization
The Central Statistical Organization consists of the technical department, which consists of the following directorates and departments:
- 1- Directorate of Population and Manpower Statistics.
- 2-Directorate of Industrial Statistics.
- 3- Directorate of Agricultural Statistics.
- 4- National Accounts Directorate.
- 5- Directorate of Social and Educational Statistics.
- 6- Directorate of Living Conditions Statistics.
- 7- Directorate of Transportation and Communications.
- 8- Trade Statistics Directorate.
- 9- Directorate of Building and Construction Statistics.
- 10- Department of Environment Statistics.
- 11- Department of Human Development Statistics.
- 12- Department of indices.
- 13- Department of Statistical Analysis.
Support departments in the organization
Administrative Department : The Directorate of Publication and Relations consists of Directorate of Administrative Affairs, accounts directorate, printing house directorate, Human Resources Directorate.
Information Technology Department: It consists of the Systems Engineering Division, internet division, maintenance division, Data entry and processing center..
Sections affiliated to the office of the head of the agency: Legal Section, Audit Department , Engineering division..
It should be noted that there are 15 statistical directorates in the governorates , which represent a mini-statistical body that performs various tasks, including data collection by sector.
The technical department consists of:
– Directorate of Population and Manpower Statistics
– The Directorate was established since the establishment of the Central Statistical Organization under Statistics Law No. (21) of 1972 under the name of the Department of Population Statistics and Population Studies, And after the issuance of the internal system of the Central Statistical Organization No. (1) for the year 1987, it was renamed the Directorate of Population and Manpower Statistics.
Directorate tasks :
- Design and implementation of preliminary works for the general population census.
- Implementation of the counting process in all its stages.
- Preparing a directory of administrative units for Iraq.
- Collecting and tabulating current statistics related to births, deaths, marriages and divorces.
- Conducting estimates and projections for the population according to administrative units.
- Benefit from the results of censuses and statistical surveys to estimate some indicators related to fertility and death trends.
- Collecting data on the workforce in the public, mixed and private sectors.
– Directorate of Social Statistics
Since 1979, the Directorate of Social and Educational Statistics, in coordination with the Ministry of Education, prepares and issues reports on education in its various stages. About kindergartens and nurseries. And also in coordination with the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs to provide data on people with special needs and beneficiaries of social care units, which include sections that are the role of the state, Al Hanan House for Juvenile Care and Elderly and Handicapped Care Homes. In addition to data related to the Ministry of Health to provide statistical data on the health services sector in Iraq that meet the requirements of planning from the data in the preparation of the national development plan and the need of the beneficiaries in the preparation of studies and research.
Building and Construction Statistics Directorate
The directorate does Collecting, tabulating and analyzing statistical data related to the building and construction movement of the public and private sectors in terms of the number of workers and wages paid, The value and quantity of construction materials used in construction, in addition to the periodic surveys related to this sector, and contributing to the preparation of studies that serve the development of building and construction statistics.
Agricultural Statistics Directorate
This directorate carries out comprehensive agricultural censuses and periodic surveys to estimate the cultivated area and the average productivity and production of all agricultural crops according to the seasonal and geographical distribution and the method of irrigation using the proposed sample method, as well as estimating the production of orchards, the number of trees and their productivity according to types of fruits, and estimating livestock projects and their products, fish farms and poultry fields.
Directorate of Transport and Communications Statistics
The Directorate provides basic statistical indicators for all activities related to transportation, communication and warehousing activities. To reach decisions in drawing future plans and policies to develop this important and effective activity in the value of its production through its contribution to the GDP, The main objective of this service activity is to provide the best services to citizens. Among its most important reports are:
- Annual reports including indicators for all types of land, air and water transport.
- Annual report on communications and mail activity
- Reports on public safety and traffic accidents registered in the police stations of the Ministry of Interior
- An annual report on the statistics of private sector cars registered in the Traffic Directorate
- In addition to implementing an annual survey of cars owned by state agencies and departments not linked to a ministry in the governmental, public and mixed sectors.
Trade Statistics Directorate
The Directorate provides statistics on Iraq’s foreign trade, internal trade, and tourism by collecting and tabulating export and import dataImports electronically for the customs declaration that comes to the organization from the General Authority of Customs according to the customs regions in Iraq. A set of statistical reports is prepared and issued in accordance with international recommendationsIn addition to issuing annual reports on tourism that are needed by the national accounts. They include:
- Activity of hotels and tourist accommodation complexes
- Food and beverage services activity (restaurants, cafes, casinos, serving drinks, fast food restaurants)
Directorate of Living Conditions
The Directorate has been studying the Iraqi family budget since 1946, when the first survey was carried out and after, and in the years 1954, 1961, 1993, 1988, and 1971, and it stopped after that date. Because of the conditions of the blockade, a survey was carried out in 2002 and then in 2004, and it continued to be implemented every two years, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011. The poverty line in Iraq was calculated, in addition to surveys on maternal and child mortality. The Directorate provides the following:
- Data that helps in measuring and analyzing poverty and monitoring the implementation of the National Poverty Reduction Strategy issued in 2009 and updating it with a new strategy.
- Data that meets the requirements and needs of the national accounts.
- Detailed indicators of consumer spending and the impact of various changes on it to serve decision-making related to production, consumption, export and import.
- Detailed indicators of the income of individuals and families according to their sources.
- The data required to compose a new consumer price index beyond 2012.
Environment Statistics Division
This section carries out the tasks of collecting data and statistics related to the environment. To achieve the following objectives:
- Providing statistical data on the various elements of the environment.
- Providing data on environmental pollutants according to their types and sources.
- Create an environmental database.
- Implementation of specialized environmental surveys for various sectors.
Directorate of Industrial Statistics
Industrial data covers the mining, electricity, water and gas sectors in addition to the manufacturing industries. The extent of coverage in industrial statistics varies according to the type of data, the size of the establishment, and the industrial activities. The focus is usually on large industrial establishments, so some data are collected from them on a quarterly or annual basis. As for small industrial establishments, they include annual data, and often these data are obtained through a sample chosen from the total community of those establishments. As for medium establishments, data are collected from them on an annual basis, just like large establishments, with the exception of the number of employees. The most important reports issued by the Directorate:
- Large Industrial Establishments Report (annual)
- Medium Industrial Establishments Report (annual)
- Small Industrial Establishments Report (annual)
- Water and electricity report (annual)
- In addition to the quarterly report for large industrial establishments (every three months).
- Surveys that are carried out according to the need for data every four to five years.
National Accounts Directorate
The Directorate of National Accounts is “primarily” a department that uses and consumes data provided by other technical directorates in the Central Statistical Organization and the rest of the state’s departments. It is also productive of the most important economic indicators that it provides to users, led by the Ministry of Planning and policy makers.Because it prepares the calculations, scales, and statistical indicators from which the plan is based to draw a picture of the future that the current economic and social community wants to move to.
Department of Indices
The indices department undertakes the task of calculating consumer price indices for the purposes of measuring monthly and annual inflation. The section issues monthly, quarterly and annual reports. The department is also responsible for implementing surveys for the International Comparison Program, which is implemented in cooperation with ESCWA.
Publications of the Standards Section :
1- The monthly, quarterly, and annual reports of the person assigned to their duties, according to the agency’s work plan.
2- Reports on the implementation of periodic surveys of the International Comparison Program.
3- Data for updating the base year and compiling indices.
4- Data on indices, inflation rates and price levels for researchers and scholars.
Department of Human Development Statistics
The Human Development Statistics Department issues important annual reports on the indicators of the Millennium Development Goals, which were adopted by the United Nations Declaration in 2000, facilitating easier comparisons between countries. And important indicators on gender highlight important facts about the differences between women and men through the establishment of a gender database.