National Committee for Population Policies
Origin and Establishment
The initiative of the Ministry of Planning was formed the first national commission on population policy in Iraq in October / 1988.
- Re-formation of the committee in 1989, has added members from the Ministries of Education, Health, Higher Education and Scientific Research, Labor and Social Affairs, the General Federation of Iraqi Women, Central Bureau of Statistics, the economic planning, while keeping its presidency of the Manpower Planning in the Ministry of Planning.
- Re-formation of the committee, headed by the Minister of Planning in August 2001, but it did not do activities or meetings with the importance of their work and stopped completely after the events of 2003.
- In 2009, re-formation of the committee on the basis of the consent, the General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers under, Diwan No. B 197 for the year 2009, and took over the Ministry of Planning presidency also included in the membership of the relevant ministries and some departments not related to the Ministry and civil society organizations and representatives from the provinces in addition to members of the House of Representatives women's Committees, family and childhood, the Health and Environment Committee.
The functions of the National Committee for Population Policies
- Prepare a document for the national population policy in Iraq and the follow-up implementation.
- Implementation of the directives of the Supreme Council of the population.
- Delivering the follow-up reports prepared by the executive management of population policies to the Supreme Council of the population
- Support the implementation of population censuses and surveys
- Review documentation projects, programs and activities prepared by the executive management of population policies and submit them to the Supreme Council of the population to be studied and approved.
- Participation meetings of boards and committees of the national population and the presence of Arab and international conferences related to areas of population.
- Coordination with scientific research centers of national and foreign research centers at universities
- Supervise the issuing status reports of Iraq's population on an annual basis and periodic reports and relevant.
- Activating cooperation with the provinces in the field of population policies
The establishment of the Supreme Council of the population
The approval of the General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers on the formation of a higher council for residents under it Diwani No. s / 2/2/6/4722 on 02.17.2013 aims to develop visions of a national population of medium and long term and prepare a strategy for population and associated goals and objectives depends when determining the objectives of the national development strategy and other strategies, assume the presidency of the Prime Minister and membership of the Council of Ministers :
- Labor and Social Affairs
- Construction and Housing
- Human Rights
- Ministry of State for Women's Affairs
- Youth and Sports
- Higher Education and Scientific Research
- Waqf: Shiite, Sunni, Christian, Yazidis and Sabean Mandaean
- Planning in the Kurdistan Regional Government
- Reporter from the Ministry of Planning / Chairman of the National Committee for Population Policies
The functions of the Supreme Council of the population
- Approval of the annual programs of the National Population Policy
- Issuing orders and instructions on the implementation of the activities and outputs of the national population policy.
- Determine the functions of ministries and key partners in implementation.
- Directing events associated with the review and evaluation of current policy
- The study of laws and regulations related to population in Iraq and developed a proposal
- Holding quarterly meetings to discuss and follow up the implementation of the National Population Policy.
- Support the implementation of some of the activities of the national population policy within special projects involved in the implementation or funding of donor countries and regional and international organizations and the ratification of the proposed projects.
- Follow-up study reports on the progress of implementation of the policy and issuing appropriate recommendations thereon.
- Monitor the implementation of the decisions and recommendations of conferences and international and regional organizations specialized on population and to which Iraq is a party.
- Delivering the semi-annual reports to the Council of Ministers on the progress of the implementation of the population policy
The functions of the executive management of population policies
The National Committee of the population policies of the executive management of population policies linked to its president are working on:
Coordination with the relevant ministries to determine the priorities of the activities contained in the national population policy to be included in the programs and plans of the ministries and prepare reports on the progress of the implementation of the population policy and follow the directives of the National Committee for population policies and the organization of the celebrations of World Population Day and the holding of conferences and seminars related to aspects of the whole population.